Teaching Resilient Students and Raising Healthy Teens: Mental health, substance use and suicide prevention resources for educators and parents
This monthly newsletter provides a list of curated resources and activities to support social emotional development, healthy coping as well as crisis support for educators, students and parents.
This edition shares the monthly Hope & Justice prompt and mental health videos for educators to share with students.
- Child Mind Institute’s Healthy Minds Thriving Kids Videos
This edition provides free mental health resources for schools, information about the annual film contest, and a stress relief guide.
- CalHOPE’s Mental Health Resources for Schools
- California Surgeon General’s Playbook for Stress Relief for Caregivers and Kids
This edition shares October’s Hope & Justice Prompt, the mini lesson plan of the month, and back to school resources.
- Directing Change 2023 Flyer
- Hope & Justice Contest
- Mini Lesson Plans of the Month: Suicide Prevention and Superheroes and our Purpose (for grades 5-8)
- Back to School Resources
- Directing Change’s Mini Grant opportunity
This edition shares Directing Change films and handouts for back-to-school:
- Selection of Suicide Prevention PSAs
- Selection of Mental Health Matters PSAs
- Selection of Through the Lens of Culture PSAs
- Selection of Walk in Our Shoes PSAs
- Selection of LGBTQ Films and Art
This edition provides a variety of crisis resources to help youth cope with traumatic events:
- Teen Line
- Talking to Children About Violence: Tips for Parents and Teachers (National Association of School Psychologists)
- How to Talk to Kids About School Shootings (Child Mind Institute)
- Mental Health Thrival Kit for Students and Young People
- How to Cope with Traumatic Events (Jed Foundation)
- Helping Students After a School Shooting (ASCA)
This edition shares the May Hope & Justice prompt, a wellness guide for educators, and a crisis resource for teens.
This edition shares the April Hope & Justice prompt and lesson plan, the Suicide Prevention 101 Webinar, and the Suicide Prevention brochure in English and Spanish.
- April Prompt Mini Lesson Plans: “Cannabis Decoded”
- Suicide Prevention 101 Brochure for Parents in English and Webinar
- Suicide Prevention 101 Brochure for parents in Spanish and Webinar
This edition shares the March Hope & Justice prompt, mental health resources for students, and upcoming webinars for parents and educators.
- Hope & Justice contest
- GSA Network’s Trans and Queer Wellness Resources
- Mind Out Loud Event for students
- Child Mind Institute’s Family Resource Center
- Anti-Defamation League’s Why Visibility in Media Matters Lesson Plan
This edition shares the annual contest as well as self-care resources for school staff and students.
- Annual film contest flyer
- University of Buffalo School of Social Work Self-Care Assessments, Exercises and Activities
- Yoga for Teachers
- Campus Mind Works’ Weekly Motivator for Students
This edition shares December and January’s Hope & Justice contest as well as a film about how to address and manage trauma in the classroom.
This edition provides classroom management tips and a wellness webinar for educators, a mental health program for schools, and an application to be a judge for Directing Change art and films.
- Resilient Practices for Educators, Staff Members, Administrators, and Teams Webinar Series
- Youth mental health program: Angst: Building Resilience
- Judging Application
This edition shares opportunities to get involved with Directing Change for students and schools, an upcoming parent webinar to manage children’s anxiety, and suicide prevention resources for parents.
- Directing Change Mini Grant Opportunity (Rural County Application here)
- Free Parent Webinar: Supporting Your Child During an Uncertain School Year: Tips for Managing Anxiety
- Suicide Prevention Resources for Parents
- Mind Out Loud Student Rep Program
This edition announces the launch of the 2022 Directing Change Contest and October’s Hope & Justice prompt. The newsletter also shares the California Department of Education Webinar Series: Building A Network of Safety for School Communities and other resources.
- Directing Change 2022 Program Flyer
- CDE Webinar Series Registration
- Blue Sky Resources for Parents
- Suicide Prevention: A Toolkit for High Schools (SAMHSA)
This edition announces September’s Hope & Justice prompt, our Art for Change event, upcoming Suicide Prevention 101 webinars, and resources for preparing for back to school.
- Suicide Prevention Activity Guide
- Back to School Resources for Educators, Students, and Parents
- Mental Health Thrival Kit
This edition announces a mental health kit for students and features a resource for LGBTQ+ youth, a stress-reduction breathing technique, and the brochure “Suicide Prevention 101 for Parents” in Spanish.
- Mental Health Guide for LGBTQ+ Youth: Be True and Be You
- Suicide Prevention 101 Brochure for parents in Spanish
This edition includes a suicide prevention training for educators, a webinar for schools, and a resource for families with tips to connect more with their kids.
This edition features a fact sheet to help staff, students, and families through prolonged stress as well as activities and virtual events for youth and educators.
- Fact Sheet: Coping in Hard Times
- Featured Lesson Plan: Mental Health
- Parent Resource Guide: Raising Healthy Teens
This edition features a variety of resources including the brochure “Suicide Prevention 101 for Parents” and several webinars offered for parents and educators in partnership with the California Department of Education.