- The 988 dialing code operates through what was formerly known as the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (NSPL). It is a network of over 200 locally operated and funded crisis centers around the country. The number for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (NSPL) will remain operationally as well, so you can continue to promote the NSPL or switch over to promoting 988 when it makes sense for your organization. For example, if you have printed materials that promote the NSPL, there is no need to reprint them.
- Learn more about 988 in California here: https://www.988california.org/
- 988 offers 24/7 access to trained crisis counselors who can help people experiencing mental health-related distress. That could be: Thoughts of suicide, mental health or substance use crisis, or any other kind of emotion distress
- People can call or text 988 or chat 988lifeline.org for themselves or if they are worried about a loved one who may need crisis support.
- 988 serves as a universal entry point so that no matter where you live in the United States, you can reach a trained crisis counselor who can help.
- More information, branding guidelines, pre-written messages and graphics can be found on the SAMHSA 988 Suicide & Crisis Line Resource Pages: